05 March, 2010

I like Kaya Toast

Quite recently, I had a lusting for some kaya toast and kopi.
Since I wanted to try out Ya Kun's famed toast and coffee, I headed straight for the nearest outlet.

It was all yummy and good.

As I was leaving, my linguistic half within me spoke to my apathetic half, "PSSST! Check out their adverts. And see if they have queer English use. Go on!"

And so, I spotted a giant advertorial placard at the entrance/exit.
With my camera pointed in that obvious direction, I was at risk of trespassing business/intellectual property law.


The manager came up to me and said, "No, you can't do that."
I replied, "Oh? Ok. Sorry about that."

And I left.
Along with the photo too.

Do you see anything curious?

If not, it's been circled in blue for easy reference:





So what in the world is a Kaya Repertoire?

In my mind, a repertoire is only used with works of art, be it music, literature, or paintings etc.
Essentially, I understand "repertoire" to be used to refer to a stock of plays, dances, or pieces that a performer knows or is prepared to perform.

Thus it makes sense to say sentences like:

"Katherine Jenkins' repertoire ranges from sacred arias to operatic takes on contemporary songs."

"My dance repertoire includes ballroom, lindy hop, and the occasional flamenco."

In this sense, a "repertoire" has the same sense of its counterpart, the "portfolio", which exists in corporate and investor speak. Essentially, it refers to a "range of things".


Once again, I can't help but comment that it was really a pointless effort to sound uppity. Unless it was an effort to promote the kaya toast as a work of art (which is still really tacky), then it might be (grudgingly) acceptable.

Just say it simply, "...our Kaya Selection".
If the food is good, the crowds will automatically stream in.


Still, I really like my toast with huge chunks of butter and thick spreads of Kaya.

Oooh.


No comments:

Post a Comment