17 March, 2010

Flame Wars


After watching a youtube video, I tend to scroll down to look at the comments made by viewers. If anything, sometimes it is the lame comments that are made that crack me up even more.
Contentious topics always include things to do with religion, dissing of extra-marital affairs, issues that are split with polar views, stupid people who do stupid things to get attention etc.


I've taken the liberty to get a sample of what some mild dissing or flaming looks like. This is an example from a discussion of a certain religion's extremists. People are clearly flaming each other, and taking swipes at each other's credibility by assessing his/her stupidity and even resort to cheap attacks like spelling errors.

See the picture:




It appears that there is a term to describe the action of dissing each other online. People actual "flame" each other, and they participate in "flame wars".



I was never an active user of discussion forums or the comments section in online interaction. Having heard of the term before, it didn't really stick with me till a recent re-hearing of it.

I was on the bus and heard 2 people talking:

A: "wah lau. KNN. that guy flame me loh during the presentation. Basket."
B: "haha, ya he damn loser. Trying to score points only."

It appears that this online term has made its way into everyday speak as well. Should we be surprised? I'm not, really. Tech speak creeps its way into other areas very easily today given the proliferation of tech and the web.

Just hoping I don't get flamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment